Before the NHS management scheme:
- Joint Hons in Business Law and Tourism, University of Strathclyde
- One year HR admin role at Jordanhill College post degree
- Part time chef during studies
After completing the scheme:
- Appointed to substantive post as Project Accountant at what is now NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde after 18 months as a finance trainee. 6 months gap spent in San Diego, California
- Further posts in NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde including Finance Development Manager & Divisional Finance Manager
- 6 years in management consultancy with KPMG Consulting (now Atos Origin Consulting), Capgemini and PwC. Specialised in implementing back office transformation through shared services, process redesign, performance improvement, business modelling and organisational redesign.
- Currently Head of Financial Services at NHS National Services Scotland
- Work based training through management consultancy in core consulting skills, performance improvement, world class finance and business process redesign.
- Treasurer, Institute of Healthcare Management in Scotland
- Executive member of CIPFA in Scotland
- Member of Healthcare Financial Management Association
I have seen many other training schemes in operation and strongly believe that the NHS Financial Management Training Scheme is one of the best. It provided me with an unrivalled breadth of experience and opportunity, along with a flexible approach to work based learning which allowed myself as an individual to gain the right balance of work experience and study that I felt I required.
The skills I developed through my training programme in the NHS equipped me well for the roller coaster ride of management consultancy. After 6 years in consulting working across the UK and overseas I chose to return to the NHS and to put my combined experience of public and private sector working into practice in healthcare and take more direct responsibility for service improvement. My current role is extremely rewarding, not least because every day I have the opportunity to demonstrate that I can add value to the public sector on a wide variety of subjects.