Bedford Pumps Ltd is one of the UKs leading manufacturers of large, bespoke water and waste-water pumps, and is located in Bedford, England.
As well as new build, a large part of our business is the repair and refurbishment of centrifugal pumps - and not just our own - we have successfully repaired pumps from the likes of ITT Flygt, Mather and Platt, Weir and Allen Gwynnes.
Founded in 1880 in London, the W.H.Allen works moved to Queens Park, Bedford in 1894. Over the next hundred years the company grew, acquiring various pump companies in the process, including Gwynnes Pumps and Vickers.
In 1968, as the result of a merger, W.H.Allen became part of APE (The Amalgamated Power Engineering Company) who were in turn acquired by NEI (Northern Engineering Industries) in the late 1970's. All the while, pumps continued to be sold under the Allen Gwynnes name, which had become synonymous with delivering high quality pumping plant to the world market.
Prior to the acquisition of NEI by Rolls Royce in 1989, in 1987 members of the pump product department separated from NEI and formed The Bedford Pump Company. Following a period of ownership by FKI, in 2002 the company became part of the Hidrostal group, and Bedford Pumps Ltd was formed.