It’s time to bring all the things you do best to one of the world’s biggest banks. A bank with over 90 million customers globally and more branches than any other international bank. It’s time to stretch your potential and learn from industry experts. It’s time to take on real responsibility and to make business-critical decisions. It’s time to be part of a fast-paced team and to move as quickly as your skills take you. It’s time to join Santander.
Who are we?
Santander operates across several markets in the UK, so you have the chance to enjoy a long and diverse career with us. Our four main divisions are:
- Retail Banking: offers residential mortgages, savings products, banking services (including current accounts), and other personal financial products to customers throughout the UK.
- Corporate Banking: offers banking services principally to the Small and Medium-sized enterprises (SME) market.
- Global Banking & Markets: provides financial markets sales, trading and risk management services to corporate clients in the UK, as well as originating structured products for retail customers.
- Private Banking: offers private banking services for retail and corporate clients, and specialist banking services (including onshore and offshore savings accounts, execution-only stockbroking and marketing of structured products)
Facts and figures (at Dec 2010)
- Around 26 million customers
- 25 Corporate Business Centres
- More than 1,400 branches
- 25,656 staff
Training and Development
Developing your skills is as important to us as it is to you. Throughout your career, you’ll receive both formal and 'on-the-job' training, giving you the knowledge and experience you need to realise your full potential.
When you join, you’ll receive a warm welcome and a thorough induction into the UK business. As part of this, you’ll receive a more local induction along with a broad induction to the wider Santander Group.
All of our graduates participate in a number of core learning experiences. These are designed to develop your interpersonal skills and help prepare you for your first role managing others. Core learning is delivered through a blend of online and face-to-face training in modules covering areas such as an introduction to leadership and management; fundamentals of managing high performance teams; and essential communication and interpersonal skills. This is a two year programme designed to build our leaders of the future.
In addition to this, you could be invited to undertake various activities throughout the programme, such as:
- An induction to your business
- An induction to your Division
- The allocation of your own mentor and buddy
- Meetings with members of the Executive Committee
- Involvement in cross-divisional project work
- Graduate-specific events
- The production and publication of our graduate magazine
During the programme, a series of personal development modules and leadership development will be available, enabling you to develop as a potential leader or technical expert in the future.
What we look for
As well as a desire to work in the banking sector you’ll need at least 280 UCAS points and a predicted 2:1 in your chosen degree. Our schemes are extremely popular so the ability to demonstrate a commitment to extra-curricular activities, and ideally a position of responsibility like society chairman or team captain, will help you stand out.
What we offer
We provide an excellent rewards package to all our graduates, including a highly competitive salary and comprehensive range of benefits. Your benefits could include any of the following:
- Discounted private health insurance.
- Life assurance.
- Stakeholder pension scheme.
- At least 25 days paid holiday.
- Ability to buy or sell 5 days holiday per year.
- Discounted car scheme.
- Discounted retail and childcare vouchers.
- Special rates and discounts on Santander UK financial products.
- Access to online retail discount site.
However, working for an organisation like ours isn't all about salary and cash benefits. At Santander, we also believe that investing in the health and wellbeing of our employees is good business practice - and it's a sure-fire way of getting the best out of our most valuable asset. That's why we are delighted to offer the following benefits and services:
Information and advice
Our dedicated wellbeing intranet provides a range of information to help employees protect and promote their general health and wellbeing.
Santander UK gyms
We have well-equipped gyms in our three main offices, and for staff based in other sites, we have also negotiated discounted rates with a number of national health clubs.
Flexible work options
We are committed to supporting individuals in achieving a reasonable balance between their home and working life. To support staff in meeting their commitments outside of work, we offer a range of flexible work options, including part-time working, job sharing, career breaks and flexible holiday options
How to apply
See current opportunities